SHOWROOM OPENING TIMES
Spruce up your dining space
Mary Berry suggested not so long ago that the dining room was an extravagance, a wasted space that should be incorporated into the rest of the home. In many ways, this is true of the formal dining room with many family homes now combining the function of the kitchen with the dining space.
Perfect in so many ways, you can make this kitchen diner space work even harder for you with fitted furniture. But how?
Get Rid of Formality…
A formal dining was a common feature of many homes but even if you dining room is still separate from the kitchen, wave goodbye to formality by creating a relaxed ambience, perfect for family meals, dinner parties and entertaining.
There are numerous styles you can choose from, complete with practical and functional additions that turn your dining space from ordinary to extraordinary:
- Storage – deal with storage solutions first such as fitted sideboard combined with layers of open shelving for items that you would like display. Consider adding clever additions to the cupboards too, to maximise the space and accessibility to items.
- Style – the style should complement the rest of your home. As well as the industrial style being popular, consider the sleek lines of the modern style or if you want something a little warmer and practical for your home, the refined rustic style might be more your choice. If this is the case, keep the finish of any fitted furniture in wood.
- Practical – when it comes to the dining table, keep practical and functional in mind, along with style. Consider whether a central pedestal will add more leg room, perfect for the smaller dining space.
Add Flourish with Practical Detailing
There are many ways you can add even more versatility to the dining room or kitchen diner. As well as bespoke fitted dining room furniture, why not consider…?
- Coloured fabric dining chairs – you may worry that fabric upholstered dining chairs won’t stay pristine for long, and by adding a colour you may worry that they will soon no longer be on-trend. However, coloured velvet dining chairs are a must-have right now and with the right surrounding décor, they will be a welcome part of your home for some time to come.
For a up to the minute look, mix the colours of the upholstered dining chairs, considering the colour palette of the room as your guide.
- Dining bench – you may think that a dining bench as something akin to a gymnasium bench but there are some stunning examples of high-backed dining benches. Perfect for when you have family and friends over and you need a little more seating space.
The must-have metallic for this year is polished chrome although you can get away with brass-effect if this is not to your taste. But overall, in the dining room you want to create a space that is full of ambience, making meal times relaxed, casual dining affairs.