SHOWROOM OPENING TIMES
Looking for Practical Loft Conversion Solutions?
We have great ideas about how to utilise the space in your loft.
To get the most out of the loft, you need to use the space as much as is practically possible, within the space that it offers you and the budget that you have.
#1 Loft access
First and foremost, to be able to use your loft, it needs to have access that is safe and easy to use. Frankly, balancing on a ladder is not the solution.
If you are intending to use the loft as a living or bedroom space, it must have a fixed staircase that leads to it. When you convert the loft, you are adding valuable extra space to your home but what will detract from the value is if the access to the loft is a narrow, rickety staircase.
Of course, you may not have the budget nor the inclination for fixed stairs but if you are determined to use the loft for storage, you still need a ladder that is sturdy to use. A Fixed, loft ladder that conveniently folds away when the hatch is shut is the ideal solution.
#2 safe and secure storage
The loft provides a myriad of solutions to all kinds of problems, from the need for a guest bedroom to a safe place to store various items.
Insulating and then flooring the loft is the first step. You could, if your budget allows, add skylights, a permitted development in most areas but always check. You could also plasterboard and plaster the underside of the roof.
These easy and inexpensive changes are the perfect loft conversion solutions in many cases, making for a fabulous place to store everything from Christmas decorations to important paperwork etc.
#3 Add a bedroom
A well-designed and finished loft conversion will add value to a property, especially if the loft conversion adds another bedroom.
However, take care as doing too much can lead to you not getting your money back;
- En-suite – a great idea but the small bathroom is not always practical or useable. If you intend installing an en-suite in the loft, consider spending time and money on getting the best plumbing and water pressure options.
- Finish – the value is in the detail so if the loft is not a practical size for a bedroom, it may be best used for a play area, hobby room and so on.
- Light – natural light is important to spend time on getting the windows and lighting just right
#4 Make it Useable
When the loft space is converted to your preferred size and use, consider how to use the space effectively.
- Wardrobe - fitting a sliding door wardrobe into the sloping ceiling coomb along one wall provides an ideal storage solution to any loft bedroom without compromising too much floor space... and it can look as stylish as you want it to be.
- Storage Shelves - carefully designed and positioned shelves will provide the ultimate storage for all of these items that you use but perhaps only at certain times of the year - holidays, Christmas time etc; and in an organised fashion so that you can reach them without having to search through heaps of boxes and clutter.
- Display Unit for the audio/visual equipment - Maybe your loft conversion is to be a play or entertainment room... how about a unit that houses all the electronic equipment, TV, Blue Ray player, Computer, Games console, music system and all the ancillary equipment in one attractive unit built into one side of the room, maybe under the sloping ceiling where it will not compromise the floor space.