SHOWROOM OPENING TIMES
10 Quick Tips for Renovating Your Home
Making changes and improvements to your home is an exciting renovation project. But it can be stressful too. These tips are from the team at Komandor, all of which will help to stop your project becoming a renovation nightmare…
- Realism – we’ve included this high up in the list of tips because it is so important: you really do need to be realistic about your project. This isn’t just about money, it is about what your home can accommodate. Choose materials and design that let your home shine, rather than work against it.
- Contractors – from builders to designers like Komandor, getting the right people working on your project is a major factor in making it a success. Ask around, look for independent reviews, get to know them… and then make your choice.
- Money, money, money – do your sums, work out what you can afford and keep 10% back as a ‘slush’ or emergency fund. There is no doubt that having the reddies in place and keeping a tight control of your budget helps the renovation be the success that you want it to be.
- Research – ‘mood boards’ are used by designers to create an overall sense of how a room or property could look. It is worth spending time researching what you do (and what you don’t) want when it comes to the final look and finish of the project.
- Details, details, details – the small details make the project, in our opinion. And it is some of the hidden details that have a direct impact on the final result too. For example, if you are moving the location of the oven and hob, you need to make sure you have the right tradesperson in to complete the pipework, and at the right time.
- Advice – designers have one view of your project and you, another. But when you have the plans, why not ask trusted family and friends for their opinion. For example, when renovating the bathroom, if you are not someone who wallows in a bath why have one? Why not opt for a luxurious shower instead?
- Regrets – don’t have any! Someone will always come along when the project is done and say, ‘why didn’t you….?’. It is your home, your renovation project, your decision.
- Future proof – this means keeping one eye on the future and ensuring that there is plenty of scope for it to fit your needs for some time to come. And be careful with super-modern choices – just think avocado bathroom suites and you’ll understand what we mean…
- Every day – don’t leave your renovation project in the hands of your builder and/or designer. It is your renovation and you need to be checking in daily with your team to ensure that everything is to YOUR liking.
- Enjoy – and finally, for many of our customers, renovations and home improvements are not things that happen frequently. Renovating your home can be a stressful experience, but it can also be enjoyable, watching how things change! And there is nothing better than the moment you realise it has all been completed…